Today, men and women tend to wear contact lens for several purposes. Some believe that wearing contact lenses are better than wearing spectacles. About 70 percent of the population worldwide wears contact lenses for eye correction reasons. The remaining 30 percent are for those people who wear contact lens for style or to try to blend in with the trending fashion hypes in the society. This is why many are interested to buy contact lens even if they do not need one.
How can one wear lenses anyway? Contact lenses are normally placed in the eye by hand through the index finger with the concave side upward. This is done while making sure that the index finger is positioned on the lens of the eye. The rigid part of the lens must be placed directly on the cornea and the soft part of the lens is positioned on the white part of the eye or the conjunctiva. Once done, the lens will ultimately slide into place. To ensure the contact lens is properly inserted, the other hand is use to ensure the lids and lower lash line is spread.
Due to the increase in demand for the contact lenses, more and more people are buying the products. However, most of these people lack better understanding about details of using contact lenses. Here is some essential information when buying contact lenses:
• Contact lens is an advantage for people who avoid putting on spectacles or glasses. Some people hate distractions especially when it comes to their eyes. Contact lenses are suitable and perfect for individuals like them.
• Most users agree that wearing contact lenses are much easier. Contact lens supply better peripheral vision compare to glasses. Before, it is believed that people with astigmatism and other eye conditions can only wear glasses. Due to the advancement in technology, contact lenses are now well-designed to give almost every one with better vision. Especially without the burden of wearing glasses bulky and annoying glasses.
• Many athletes and outdoor enthusiasts buy contact lenses because it avoids distraction in case the glasses are broken or dislodged. Also, contact lenses are ideally suited for outdoor and other sport activities because it does not accumulate moisture such as sweat, condensation, rain or snow compare to glasses that can easily attract moisture.
• For those people that have keratoconus, it is a degenerative disorder of the ocular parts wherein structural changes within the cornea lead to thinning and changing into a more conical shape than the normal gradual curve. In addition for those people suffering from aniseikonia, it is an eye condition in which there is a significant variation in the perceived sized of images. These ocular conditions are usually corrected better by contact lenses than by spectacles.
• As mentioned above, the influence of fashion influences many individuals to buy contact lenses since these are more stylish compared to glasses. Using a contact lens gives a person a different personal style that matches his or her lifestyle. According to recent studies, more and more individuals are wearing contact lenses because of two main reasons. It is comfortable and stylish.
• Lastly, contact lens offers better protection from harmful particles compared to glasses. Many have known that glasses protect the eyes from hazardous airborne debris but glasses have a blind spot in which particles such as dust can enter the eyes. Whereas, contact lenses completely aid in the overall protection of the eyes against these harmful and irritating particles.
It is a known fact that each person has a different reason for buying contact lenses. Whether it is for the correction of vision or fashion statement it does not really matter as long as one learns and understands the basic usage and maintenance associated with owning contact lenses.
What Contact Lens Problems Are You Looking At
Do you envy those great-looking models with eyes the color of the sky, the woods and the cat? Caucasians have the genes for it, but these days technology has a way to give you those eye colors with a few dollars.
It is true that people always covet what they do not have. But, contact lens is not only about having great-looking eyes, it is also about improving eyesight when these start to dim by age or certain eye conditions like astigmatism. Wearing contact lens is becoming popular because it offers convenience and added cosmetic value. Disposable contact lenses with colors to enhance the color of the eyes are very trendy these days. There is no worry so long as wearers are aware of the ways to use them properly because there are indeed many contact lens problems that may arise out of improper use.
What are the dangers that predispose a contact lens wearer to developing eye problems?
Wearing of contact lenses can cause a change in the cornea of the eye – structural change, lacrymal functions, turnover and oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. These can worsen eye conditions especially when there are pre-existing problems.
There are other reasons why the health of the eye can be affected, which are mostly avoidable, by the way. One of these is the type of lens being used –soft, hard, gas-permeable. The choice of cleaning solution, frequency of changing lenses, and the medical condition of the wearer are also factors in the development of eye problems. These cannot be ignored; some are minor, but some can be so severe leading to loss of vision as a result of keratitis.
Some of the predisposing factors include dry eyes, allergic conjunctivitis, smoking, blepharitis, immunosuppression, eye trauma and surgery, systemic disorder and complications, age, and poor habits related to unhygienic practices and prolonged wearing of contact lenses.
How can a lens wearer prevent contact lens problems?
If there are physical signs of discomfort, it is most likely that there is a problem. But, it is not good to jump to any conclusion or to ignore the signs. The best management approach always entails seeing an eye doctor to make the assessment of your condition with certainty. The doctor can determine the problem and prescribe the treatment or do further tests to validate the findings. The doctor may advise the discontinuation of the use of contact lens until results are clearly treatable or can be managed with some eye care solutions.
What are the usual causes of contact lens problems?
• Problems with the choice of contact lens itself
Problems may set in when contact lens have a poor fit. Either it is tight or loose is not good. Buying lenses with a good fit is mandatory. Poor lens care may lead to bacterial growth and serious eye infections. Lens that has been damaged – tears, chips and cracks – may irritate the cornea and cause keratitis or conjunctivitis. Warped lens can trigger warping of the cornea that can be hard to treat. Dry lens can give the wearer corneal hypoxia caused by deposits that accumulate on the surface.
• Conjuctival issues
There are many possible reasons for the development of conjunctivitis but this is mainly an allergic reaction to foreign substances like the use of the contact lens. Some of these allergic reactions are: allergic conjunctivitis, idiopathic superior limbic keratoconjuctivitis, giant papillary conjunctivitis, and toxic conjunctivitis, microbial keratitis,
• Complications on the cornea
The cornea is the lens of the eye where the contact lens is applied. Use of contact lens may bring about problems on the cornea itself caused by irritation, allergic reactions and infection. These may lead to complications such as superficial punctuate keratitis (SPK), corneal hypoxia, and CL-induced red eye (CLARE) or contact lens-associated keratitis. Some corneal problems may be caused by mechanical injuries or using tight contact lens.
• Infections caused by viruses
Infections can be caused by many pathogenic organisms including viruses. Common viral infections are herpes and adenoviral infection that can be acquired during wearing of contact lens.
Many of these contact lens problems are not really serious and can be resolved or treated by not wearing the contact lens for a while. With persistent eye discomfort or unhealthy signs, one needs to see an ophthalmologist right away.