January 24, 2013
What Do You Get from a Family Planning Benefit Program
Family planning is an essential part of a person’s life and well-being. Avoiding unwanted pregnancy can be beneficial especially when the couples are both busy working, if they already have plenty of children or when they just had a new baby. Through family planning, the couple will be able to have a fulfilling experience of quality parenthood. Most partners and women who belong in the childbearing age bracket would want to avail the services of a family planning benefit program but not everyone is entitled to this since there are certain income and residency criteria to be met.
The family planning benefit program is a free and confidential state program that aims to provide access to couples who want to use contraceptives but cannot afford them.
Generally, here are the kind of services that are rendered to both men and women qualified under this program:
• Counseling, preventive screening and family planning options – Guidance is necessary especially for the new couples in order for them to be able to decide properly on which birth control method is suitable for their preferences and lifestyle. Through this, they will be able to decrease financial burdens, have an improved state of well-being and a great sense of fulfillment.
• FDA approved birth control methods and supplies – Products that are used by consumers in the market such as medicines and health devices must always be safe and within the standard quality. This also ensures that the side effects and other precautions in using the merchandises are not harmful to the people and that they have understood the various instructions regarding the usage.
• Emergency contraception – This emergency birth control is given to a woman who wants to avoid pregnancy after having an unprotected intercourse with her partner or in cases where the contraceptive used is ineffective. Emergency contraception is only intended for single episodes and it is no longer efficient when the woman has already been impregnated. These are highly effective contraceptive methods if correctly used. There are also certain side effects that can be experienced so it is important to seek the physician’s advice.
• Sterilization procedures – These methods are available for both men and women who would want to have permanent and hassle-free contraception. Tubal ligation is the irreversible severing of the fallopian tube so the fertilized egg will no longer reach the womb for implantation. On the other hand, vasectomy is cutting the male’s vas deferens in order to prevent the sperm from being carried from the scrotum to the testicles. There are risks involved for these procedures and consulting medical assistance is necessary.
• Screening for sexually transmitted diseases – Regular screening and testing is necessary for evaluation of the partners who are under this program.
There are also a number of procedures and services that are not covered by the family planning benefit program. Prenatal checkups and other pregnancy-related procedures are not included in their coverage. Other excluded services are fertility treatments, mammograms for female and abortion for pregnant women.
Not all families are eligible to avail the services offered by the family health benefit program. Once you meet the criteria, it is important to follow the conditions stipulated on the program to fully maximize the resources provided. Since the program aims to assist the families in need, they made the application more convenient. You can easily search how to apply online through the various government and non-government websites. Download the forms needed and comply with their requirements. Go to the qualified and legal providers of this program and submit them all together and have a scheduled personal interview.